City of Ottawa Board of Fire and Police Commissioners Accepting Applications to establish a Police Patrolman Register
Application Deadline: September 22, 2023, at 11:59 P.M.
• Salary base starting at $73,000.00
How to Apply:
- Visit www.cityofottawa.org to complete the online application
- Applications must be completed by September 22, 2023, at 11:59 P.M.
- Questions, please call 815-433-0161 ext. 116 or 110 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Medical insurance, life insurance, vision plan, and dental plan.
- 12 Hour Shifts. Patrol Officers are only scheduled to work half of the year and are scheduled off every other weekend.
- Ballistic Vest and Firearm provided by the department.
- $1,500 initial uniform allowance plus an annual uniform allowance.
- Monthly paid firearms training.
- Career Advancement Opportunities Including: K-9 Handler, Detective, School Resource Officer, Firearms Instructor, Taser Instructor, Field Training Officer, and many more.
- All overtime is double time and there are 12 holidays paid at double time.
- Vacation starting at 10 days per year.
- Continued health coverage for retired officers.
Police Officer Minimum Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- United States citizen
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be 21 years of age or any person who is 20 years of age and who has successfully completed 2 years of law enforcement studies at an accredited college or university and must not have reached your 35th birthday as of September 22, 2023.
- Must be in excellent physical health and be of good moral character
- Candidates must have a valid POWER card issued by Joliet Junior College (JJC) at time of employment offer. Candidates must contact JJC at 815-280-2674 to schedule the POWER test or go to www.jjc.edu/powertesting. The cost of testing is at candidate’s expense.
- After being appointed, and within 15 months, residency must be maintained within forty (40) miles of the Ottawa, Illinois corporate limits.
- Twelve weeks away from home while attending Basic Law Enforcement Training (required to graduate and receive certificate from State of Illinois).
ITEMS TO BE INCLUDED WITH YOUR APPLICATION
- Copy of your birth certificate.
- Copy of your military service discharge (if applicable).
- Copy of high school diploma from an accredited institution or GED certificate. The Board reserves the right to determine the sufficiency of the high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Power card issued by Joliet Junior College. If you have an active card at time of application.
- The signed and dated waivers and release forms.
TESTING AND HIRING PROCEDURE:
- Candidates must complete an online remote written exam, which requires internet access and a computer. The written exam cannot be completed on mobile devices or tablets.
- The Board of Fire and Police Commissioners will email the candidate the website for the exam and include a username and password to log into the website. The candidate will have from September 25, 2023 – September 29, 2023, to complete the exam.
- Candidates that achieve a score of 70% or greater on the written exam will be scheduled for an oral interview on October 10, 2023.
- Prospective employment is subject to satisfactorily passing an in-depth criminal background investigation, psychological examination, and a thorough medical examination, which will include a test to screen for the use of drugs and/or narcotics.